House Moving Costs: How much does it cost to move house?

moving offices checklist move day

Your house moving costs can vary depending on a variety of factors. The total average cost of moving house is £8,885.66. To answer “how much does it cost to move house?”, it is important to ensure that you consider all the different types of cost involved when moving.

Upfront house moving costs

Stamp duty

Stamp duty is a tax which usually has to be paid whenever you buy a new property. As of October 1st 2021 stamp duty rates returned to the normal threshold of £125,000. There had been a stamp duty holiday in place until September 30th, which had been implemented to help the housing market during the Covid-19 outbreak. The amount you pay is dependent on your income, personal circumstances, property price and where your home is in the UK.

Rates for a single property

  • 0% up to £125,000
  • 2% on the next £125,000 (the portion from £125,001 to £250,000)
  • 5% on the next £675,000 (the portion from £250,001 to £925,000)
  • 10% on the next £575,000 (the portion from £925,001 to £1,500,000)
  • 12% on the remainder (the portion above £1,500,000)

Rates for buying your first home

If you and anyone else you’re buying with are first time buyers you can claim a discount (relief) which will mean you pay:

  • 0% up to £300,000
  • 5% on the next £200,000 (the portion from £300,001 to £500,000)


To find out how much it may cost for you, use the online calculator below. Ensure you use the correct calculator for you.

England and Northern Ireland – The Government’s stamp duty calculator will help you work out how much you’ll pay.

Scotland – The land and buildings transaction taxt (LBTT) calculator is required.

Wales – The land transaction tax calculator is required.

A property survey – £500 – £1,500

A property survey is a necessity and can save you a lot of money. This is a where you arrange an expert inspection of your intended new home. It will identify any structural parts of the building which need repairing. It is not a requirement to get a property survey completed although it is recommended. In the long run you could save a lot of money if it uncovers a serious issue.

A property survey is different to a valuation. A valuation is a basic check arranged by your mortgage lender to ensure the properties price is realistic. A lot of lenders do not charge for a valuation.

You can arrange a survey through going online and finding a local freelancer or a company. There is a also a website which has a list of members of the royal institute of chartered surveyors. This is a good place to find chartered surveyors.

The cost of the survey depends on the level of survey you choose as well as the size and value of your home. A basic check on a property worth £250,000 to £350,000 will cost approximately £500 to £600. However, if you’re buying an old or very large property valued at a much higher price, you’ll probably want a more in-depth report. This could cost anywhere between £630 and £1,500.

There are four types of home surveys from the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS):

Condition report – This is the most basic survey which provides a ‘traffic light’ rating of the property as a whole. A condition report will often include a property valuation.

Homebuyer report – A home surveyor will provide a more detailed report; however, they will not move any furniture or look behind any walls or floorboards. A valuation is not usually included in a RICS homebuyer survey.

Home condition survey – A home condition survey is presented in a 1-3 rating system to easily present the most serious issues. Surveyors may also attach advice sheets to the report, this will outline how best to deal with the highlighted issues.

Building survey – Your surveyor will look behind furniture and give their opinion on hidden defects that may be behind walls and under floorboards. They will also include advice on how to deal with the highlighted- issues and will attach a valuation to your survey.

Legal fees – £800 – £1,500

A good solicitor (conveyancer) can make all the difference when you a buy a property. They can speed up events, solve problems and ensure key parts of admin are done on time to get you into your new home as quickly as possible. They’ll handle your contracts, give you legal advice, carry out property searches to find out if there is anything you should be aware of, transfer your funds and register your ownership of the property.

It isn’t a requirement to hire a legal representative when you move home, however the vast majority do. Licensed conveyancers are often cheaper than solicitors, but they’re not qualified to deal with complex legal issues – so you could end up paying more.

Expect to pay between £800 and £1,500. Get numerous quotes from different companies, check whether prices include VAT, search fees and land registry fees. If you are unsure where to start, ask family and friends for recommendations.

You may have to pay legal costs if your solicitor has to extra work due to your personal circumstances. For example, if you’re buying a property with someone who isn’t your partner (e.g. sibling) your solicitor may recommend setting up a deed of trust.

Expect to pay a money transfer fee also known as a ‘electronic transfer fee’, this is a fee of usually around £40 to £50 charged by your mortgage lender. It covers the cost of transferring your mortgage money to your solicitor so they can complete the property purchase. Look out for it on your solicitor’s bill.

Are you buying a leasehold property?

If you are buying a leasehold property  ground rent and maintenance will need to be added to your house moving costs. Your solicitor should be able to confirm this, so it won’t be a surprise.


It’s easy to get caught purchasing all sorts of insurance for peace of mind when buying a new home.

However, there is a difference between what you need and what is advisory when buying a house.

Building home insurance

This is a crucial policy to considers. It covers you for the cost of damage to your new home’s structure in the event of fire, flood or storm damage. It often covers permanent fixtures, such as fitted kitchens and bathrooms.

You’ll need to buy this if you’re buying a free hold property, since most lenders won’t give you a mortgage until you show you’ve got it.

Some mortgage lenders will offer you a quote for insurance, but you can choose any provider you like. If you’re buying a leasehold property, the freeholders will probably arrange the building insurance and bill you for it annually. Be sure to ask your solicitor to confirm this.

When deciding how much cover to get you need to make sure it’ll pay enough to rebuild the property should it get destroyed. However, that is not the same price as you are paying now. The association of British insurers has a calculator to help you work this out.

Your policy should start from the day you exchange contracts and NOT the completion date(this can be the same day but is usually afterwards).

Contents home insurance

This covers the cost of replacing household items such as furniture, tech or personal valuables in the event of theft.

You don’t have to buy this different type of home insurance policy ahead of your move as you may already have it on your current home.

If you do have an existing contents policy, tell your insurer when you move so the cover can be amended.

Life insurance

This isn’t compulsory but it can give you piece of mind that your mortgage debts will be covered if you die.  This means your family won’t have to worry about losing their home.

Selling a home? Be sure to add in the estate agent fees

You’ll have to pay a fee if you use a high-street estate agent or an online service. The cost will either be a percentage of the sale price (often between 1% to 3%) or a flat fee. Ensure you compare local agents’ fees and ask family, friends and colleagues about services, reputation and sale expectations. Make sure to pick an agent you feel comfortable with because you’ll be dealing with them a frequently so a good relationship will go a long way. Lastly, ensure the estate agents quote is clear about whether VAT is included.

Moving in costs you need to manage

1. Moving your possessions

If you have a lot of heavy furniture, appliances or “loads of stuff” to transport the professional movers could be the way to go. Find out more about average removal costs

If you have lighter loads or not too many belongings, then a man with a van service will be a lot cheaper. Regardless of the load, always check with any removal company that they offer insurance to cover costs of any breakage.

If you’re still looking for an alternative, then could consider hiring a self-drive van and ask family or friends to help.

Then find out if you need a permit to park a removals van (or your own vehicle) outside your new property – contact your local council to find out.

2. Storing your belongings

You may need to temporarily store your belongings between moving out and moving in. Storage costs vary across the country, however, expect to pay at least £30 a week. Take a look at compare the storage to get an idea of cost in your area. Ideally you want to store your items as close to the property you are moving to so that it costs less to transport them to your new property. As a rough guide you’ll need 50 square feet of storage for the contents of a 1-bedroom flat. For a large 3 bed house you’ll need 150 square feet.

3. Redirect your mail – From £33.99

This is easy to forget but setting up a mail redirection can save lots of hassle. Prices start at £33.99 for one person for three months and then £8 for each extra person. Head to Royal Mail to find out more.

4. Exit etiquette

This only applies if you have been renting your home. Check your tenancy agreement as it is likely a clause stating you must leave the property in the same state as when you moved in.

You can give your rental home a deep clean yourself and save hundreds of pounds. However, be prepared to put in the hours as a thorough clean can take a day or more and use up lots of cleaning products. If the landlord believes you haven’t done a good enough job, they can ask you to contribute to bringing it up to scratch.

If you hire a cleaning company, take photos as evidence of standards and keep your receipt as proof.

If you are selling your house you don’t have to pay for a professional clean, although it is good practice

5. Money you might be spending when settling in

Furniture & Appliances

If you’re a first-time buyer, you may not have any furniture such as a bed or a sofa. You home will feel much more “homely” if you have already sorted your furniture. Second-hand furniture is a great way to save money. You can pick up furniture cheaply or even free (on places such as Facebook, Gumtree, eBay and pre-loved) and have a man and van collect it.

Utilities and broadband

Before moving you should check which services you can get at your new home and start to compare quotes. There is often a wait to get connected, especially for broadband so the earlier you begin to make those arrangements the better. As soon as you have your completion date it’s a good idea to start arranging utilities and broadband.

Council tax

If you are upsizing or moving to a new area your council tax can increase. You should be able to find out the cost on your new local councils’ website. It is a good idea to have a look at this so there are no shocks once you have moved in.